Thursday, January 12, 2017

Well, I did it!!!

  The last time you heard from me, well things were holy awful. I wanted to pack my bags, fly home and call it quits. However, I did not. I chose to stay, persevere, and adapt. When all was lost and comforts did not exist in my life anymore, I was able to use one tool to feel at ease. That was myself. So far away, I still had my giggle, my ray of sunshine, and my ability to make the most special bonds with all walks of life. When I found that I still had me, I realized that distance and securities were not such a big deal anymore. I started to utilize all of my hardships as transformation periods and think positively when something went wrong. Having a full-length argument in Vietnamese about my bike being parked in the wrong spot has given me patience. Finding a place to live in a foreign country, by myself has given me independence. Walking into a new job with little experience as a classroom teacher, has given me confidence. And, most importantly ridding through the madness of Saigon on my motorbike has given me the badass status. I’m still finding it hard believe that this is my life. I’m rolling on such a high of limitless daily adventures, environmental change, food, and learning my surroundings, that it all still feels unreal.

I recently had two weeks off for winter holiday. Off the coast of Vietnam, closer to Cambodia, is a small island called, Phu Quoc! Not being planned (as most of my adventures go) this trip turned into the most blissful Christmas one could wish for. Vietnam is really big on Christmas. They do not celebrate it but the stores and streets are decked out in decorations, and can out do Macy's any day. The Christmas music was a constant reminder that I would be spending my first holiday, alone and away from home. With time off, I decided to jump on an airplane and try something new, despite the fact that I had a hundred dollars to my name at the time. With zero expectations, I walked into a beautiful black and red oriental styled hostel. The hostel, Q- Hao was complete with private rooms, a rooftop bar, a view of the sunset over the beach, and a whole house full of travel personalities. Yes, travel personalities. An adjective I like to use to describe natural adventurers. Everyone is a story here, everyone wants to know your story, and everyone wants to see, do, and feel this planet. God, the 360 energy and vibes are just palpable. I can still feel it. "What are you doing today?" "Going for a bike ride down the north side of the island, want to join?" "Yes!" And just like that, everyday. It doesn't matter who you are, because you are a traveler. You just fit in, and you know how to fit in, without even thinking about it.

After a massive boat party that we had in Vietnamese style pajamas, a friend and I decided to go swimming in the ocean at 1:00 in the morning. The next thing I know, I find myself swimming among a swarm of glowing plankton lighting up all around me, with my movements. I couldn't believe it, so magical, and unreal. I stopped for a moment, floating and looking up at the stars; I saw something that is so difficult to explain. It was almost like my dreams were up there, looking down at me, and saying, "Katie, you did it!" My body and my energy rushed through me, giving me a shock. In touch with nature, my dreams, and myself. I was purely in it, electrified with life. A feeling I will never forget!

Playing with different elements of life is not easy. Being a foreigner takes so much constant energy. Just opening my door with five different locks and latches and getting my bike out of the house in the morning is a whole production in itself. Being sick and having the whole neighborhood break inside your house because you aren't answering your door, while a little Vietnamese kid jumps on your bed, while you're charading "I'm throwing up" to them, and they still insist on checking your pluming, you can really lose it. But then, when the little coffee lady comes back and brings you soup, you realize these people truly mean well, and the world does have you. 

Finding strength during difficult moments can sometimes feel impossible. It is important to remember to take those complexities as your growing periods and strength building times. Having endless travel destinations, making friendships, exploring remote islands, and diving into a whole new world is what makes times like Phu Quoc so extra special. Embrace the bad, as the payoff the world will return back is extraordinary. Keep building those travel personalities to spread your light; if you ask me, it's the greatest gift in the world.

Keep NAMasting with me! I got this!!!










1 comment:

  1. You are such an inspiration! You make me feel like I am back abroad reading this, I just want more keep the blogs and adventures coming!

    ReplyDelete