Monday, August 1, 2016

How Vietnam stole my heart

“Home is where the heart is.” A quote I’ve only seen on a cheesy gift around my grandmothers house. Never in my life did I  think Vietnam would become my home. A place I want to move to and stay forever. I went from being afraid of leaving my hostel alone to flying off of a motorbike in the middle of Saigon, picking it right back up and driving  home like it was no big deal. I could not be more grateful for the experience Vietnam Australia International School has given me. My co-workers transformed into best friends. For seven weeks this small, smelly, sports equipment room where we met for meetings and breaks became my home. I already miss laying on the floor being kicked with soccer balls while completely hungover from the night before… Did I mention my friends were great? Each of us were paired with a Vietnamese co-counselor whom we worked with for the duration of camp. It gives me the chills on the international bond we formed between cultures. I was informed that the directors of the camp were hesitant on how Westerners and vietnamese were going to work together. Little did they know it was the best thing they could have done. We learned so much about each other and the teaching balance worked out perfectly. As I take off today to travel on, I am failing for words to express my experience and growth. I had  high expectations for my journey  but they were completely surpassed. I want to thank Danial Hogg, the director of the VAS summer program. Without him accepting me none of this would have been possible. Danial, you have opened my eyes into a new beginning and I think you should run for President. The bonds that have been made at summer camp between the Vietnamese and Western staff are remarkable. If only the rest of the world could catch on maybe we could stop wars, because at the end of the day we all wear Purple. As I left my mates in tears last night it is now time for my Journey to continue on. I will be spending the next five weeks traveling Asia. As I stand on the other side of the world, my heart, family, and love will always be in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam. It doesn’t matter where you live it’s the people that make home. As I sit on the airplane writing, I already feel like a different person. It’s so hard to believe it is all over. The only thing getting me through it is that I know I will be back.
Tom Biet







2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie - I am so glad you had a wonderful experience. I hope your travels bring similar joy. Looking forward to hearing the full account of your adventures when I see you in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol! Thank you for keeping up with me. I can't wait to see you in person ! I have so much to tell you!

    ReplyDelete