Monday, June 6, 2016

How do I cross the street and stay alive???

The craziest 48 hours of my life.  Starting with the airplane ride I met two awesome New Yorkers traveling to Bangkok. The airline “coincidentally” placed us all on the same row in a packed flight where we were the only Americans. I stand out so much with the blonde hair!! Yikes I may have to dye it. The 18  hour flight was not too bad thanks to my awesome new friends. Next, I landed for a layover in Taiwan. Which by the way, the city is named Tapai which wasn’t listed on my itinerary. Long story short—mini panic attack.  “Where is Taiwan!!!???”  From Tapai- Taiwan I had a 2 hour flight into Ho Chi Minh city. When I arrived, I had to receive my visa. WHAT A NIGHTMARE. There was this loud sound coming from downstairs sounding like the Texas chainsaw massacre. I didn’t know what it was, if I was dying, if this sound was normal or what it was. It was just so loud in the mists of unorganized chaos of swarms of people trying to receive their visas as well. Turns out the sound was construction happening from underneath but when your in a foreign country by yourself it wasn’t an easy feeling. You could barely hear names being called for these visas and I had to wait over an hour to get mine. From there, I finally got to step outside into the world of Ho-Chi-Minh previously known as Saigon, Vietnam. WOW—and I thought IKEA was overstimulating. Saigon is like nothing I have ever seen in my life. Try combining Venice California, New York side streets, a carnival, a boardwalk, the Italian Market, and 1000’s of Mopeds into one. That still does not justify this town but there is nothing to compare it to. I can’t even cross the street by myself. The trick is to just walk into the street and the mopeds will go around you. There are just 100s of mopeds and no traffic laws, stop signs or lights its just moped crazy. As I look around I notice that everyone is covered in zip ups with hoods, long pants, gloves, socks with shoes. I ask “how is this possible in 90-100 degree weather?” Turns out they cover up to protect their skin from the sun. It  is okay for foreigners to show skin, they do not have any religious concerns about it. Next, I get in a taxi and am taken to the place I am staying at for 7 weeks, it’s called Da-Blend.  It’s funny because in the description they call it “a calmer area” but there is no way I would ever call this place calm. The hostel like place I am staying in is a great location in District 10 (Yes, towns are broken up into District’s just like in the Hunger Games). It’s basically a huge clean frat house. I am sharing a room with another girl from England. Right from dropping my bags off I had to run to the camp I will be working at as I was already coming in late. This “frat house” that I am calling it is amazing. I have met so many great people. Some of which are working at the International school with me so we have been walking together. Everyone goes out and eats together and I am never alone (I know my dream). I had my first Vietnamese meal today for 2 dollars. AHHHHH I love it out here so much already.NAMaste and goodnight--- I certainly need my sleep tonight!





7 comments:

  1. Hi Katie - It sounds wonderful......

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm exhausted just reading about your journey so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm exhausted just reading about your journey so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to read more. Be safe. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to read more. Be safe. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete