Friday, June 10, 2016

The Camp Life


This week camp has been dedicated to training and preparing for the upcoming next six weeks for when the students arrive. Like any new situation I had to walk into a room full of new people by myself and become adjusted. I soon found out that 90% of the expats (a name they use for international teachers) nearly all new each other. Some have been  living in Saigon for some time and some naturally congregated by their country, making it hard to make friends instantly. For those of you who know me, I make friends naturally and easily, so this was a bit out of my element at first. Anyway, five days later I pushed my way into groups of people, friended all of the newbies and made many friends this week. A lot of effort was put forth this week for team building exercies, that was extremely benificial for keeping the morale high. Life in Saigon has not stopped for a single second. All week we have been training by doing activities verses training via a powerpoint slide. Not to brag but my week has consisted of swimming, doing theatrical drama, playing dodgeball etc. I almost feel like I am away on a rehabilitation retreat with all of the group activities we have been doing.

The camp that I am working at is based directly out of a private school called, The Vietnam Australian International school (VAS). The kids go to class for half the day and then do camp activities for the second or first half of the day—depending on their schedule. That is where I, myself and 50 other camp counselors come in. There are nearly 2,000 students enrolled at VAS this year. I have a group of 25 ( mixed boys and girls) third graders for the first half of the day and then another 25 first  graders for the second half of the day. Compared to the dozens of Philadelphia School’s I have worked at VAS is  nothing like I have ever seen in my 5 years of teaching nor growing up.  It blows me away how under developed our schools are in an established country known as America. So, you may be thinking.. yes this is a private school. However, through networking I have learned that their public schools are just as nice. These kids are basically learning in an environment that is comparable to a beach resort. I look around everyday in awe of the environment. Not only is the school beautified it holds so much respect. I see teachers in full suits and heels, Classrooms with large glass windows, cafeteria food that I would give 4/5 stars to, resources, computer labs, a swimming pool the whole 9 yards. Oh—and it gets even better. Everyday the students and teachers get a two hour break for lunch and nap-time. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I got my schedule today and saw that I had a two hour break. I immediately raised my hand thinking it was a mistake. Here the people  value teachers as they do doctors. The training has been very beneficial and very well run. Overall, this school has really impressed me. I really wish the United States could see this. I mean, I’m sure they do but how do they not get it? How do they not understand the importance of funding schools with equal amounts of money regardless of zip code? It saddens me because we think of the United States as such an established country.. but we lack so much when it comes to education… At least in the city schools that is…

Namaste and Happy Friday evening for me! I can’t wait to see what my first weekend has in store for me!


All pictures of VAs

8 comments:

  1. What time does it start and stop. Loved school discription . Is the program the same for both ages? Can't wait to here about weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true about US education. Keep observing and absorbing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dad!!! I am learning a lot. I feel so cultured and alive here. Don't worry I am not going to move here. The language barrier is really hard. As you know I am a very expressive person. I can't fully connect with the natives which saddens me. My big smile is the only thing getting me by on social communication.

      Delete
  3. This post was very informative. I am glad you have made friends. How is the weather?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you are enjoying these posts, Carol! Its motivating me to keep up with my writting. The weather is sooooo hot and humid. You cant bother with make up as the second you walk out the door it immedately melts off your face. You walk around with sweat dripping down your back. Rainy days are so much better as you get the cloud cover. Luckily, a lot of the camp activites are indoors. Some days are better then others, weatherwise, but it is definately taking some getting used to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love reading your posts glad you are having these experiences. Be safe xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love reading your posts glad you are having these experiences. Be safe xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love reading your posts glad you are having these experiences. Be safe xoxo

    ReplyDelete