Sunday, June 12, 2016

Kindergarten Tables

I walked by myself to camp last Friday without the help of my “two bodyguard” friends. I felt what it was like to be a minority in a foreign country. It was almost like everything stopped and people would without shame just stare at me with an entire 180 head turn. I couldn’t walk past one cart or store front without getting full on looks from the natives. The thing is though, its not scary here. The Vietnamese people are very nice. They appreciate attempted language, gestures and big smiles. They are not bitter about the Vietnam war. At first, it was a bit scary, I think  because of the overwhelming environment and language barrier but a week later I feel very comfortable here. The street food is something else. They are known for their alley ways of pho, banh-mi sandwiches (thank you France for the bread), and iced coffee with condensed milk that comes in a bag. These alley ways crack me up as they are all filled with kindergarten sized tables and chairs. I am thankful for only being 5 feet tall but my 6 foot friends (bodyguards as I call them) are definitely struggling. 

Today, I attempted to ride/rent a motorbike today. You can rent them for $50 a month. I failed terribly on my first attempt and decided it wasn’t the best idea. This is like the worst place in the world to learn. Mom, you can rest easy for now. 

4 comments:

  1. Don't give up on the bike. It could be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't listen to him. Better safe than sorry!!!

      Delete
  2. A picture is worth a thousand words. The pxs are fabulous. You could have a second career as a photographer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of the pictures. Tomorrow is Thursday, June 23. Last day of school and no students. Wow. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete